MUC5AC Antibody (45M1) Summary
M1 mucin preparation from the fluid of an ovarian mucinous cyst belonging to an O Le(a-b) patient
This monoclonal antibody recognizes the peptide core of gastric mucin M1 (recently identified as Mucin 5AC).Its epitope is located in the C-terminal cysteine rich part of the peptide core of MUC5AC. Its epitope is destroyed by beta-mercaptoethanol but not by periodate treatment. This mucin is present in primary ovarian mucinous cancer but usually absent in colorectal adenocarcinoma, thus showing an expression pattern opposite to MUC2. Together with a panel of antibodies, Anti-MUC5AC may be useful for differential identification of primary mucinous ovarian tumors from colon adenocarcinoma metastatic to the ovary. MUC5AC antibodies may also be useful for identification of intestinal metaplasia as well as in the identification of pancreatic carcinoma and pre-cancerous changes vs. normal pancreas.
Protein A or G purified
Test in a species/application not listed above to receive a full credit towards a future purchase.
- Dot Blot
- Flow (Intracellular)
- Flow Cytometry 0.5-1ug/million cells
- Immunocytochemistry/Immunofluorescence 1-2ug/ml
- Immunohistochemistry-Frozen 0.5ug/ml
- Immunohistochemistry-Paraffin 1-2 ug/ml
- Western Blot
Immunohistochemistry (Formalin-fixed): 1-2ug/ml for 30 minutes at RT. Staining of formalin-fixed tissues requires heating tissue sections in 10mM Tris with 1mM EDTA, pH 9.0, for 45 min at 95C followed by cooling at RT for 20 minutes.
Optimal dilution for a specific application should be determined.
Use in IHC-P reported in scientific literature (PMID:34260916).
Hedgehog. Does not react with Bovine.
Use in Mouse reported in scientific literature (PMID:34260916)
Packaging, Storage & Formulations
Store at 4C.
10 mM PBS with 0.05% BSA
0.05% Sodium Azide
Protein A or G purified
200ug/ml of antibody purified from Bioreactor Concentrate by Protein A or G. Prepared in 10 mM PBS with 0.05% BSA & 0.05% azide. Also available WITHOUT BSA & azide at 1.0 mg/ml. (NBP2-32732)
Antibody with azide - store at 2 to 8C. Antibody without azide - store at -20 to -80C. Antibody is stable for 24 months. Non-hazardous.
Alternate Names for MUC5AC Antibody (45M1)
- gastric mucin
- lewis B blood group antigen
- major airway glycoprotein
- mucin 5, subtypes A and C, tracheobronchial/gastric
- mucin 5AC, oligomeric mucus/gel-forming pseudogene
- mucin 5AC, oligomeric mucus/gel-forming
- mucin-5 subtype AC, tracheobronchial
- tracheobronchial mucin
Mucin 5, subtype AC (MUC5AC) is a gel-forming secreted mucin that functions as a protective barrier on surface of epithelial tissues (1-2). MUC5AC is expressed primarily by goblet cells of the surface epithelium, including in the stomach, respiratory tract, gall bladder, endocervix, and endometrium (1-3). Human MUC5AC is located on chromosome 11p15.5, consisting of 5654 amino acids and has a N-terminus, tandem-repeat region (TRR), and a C-terminus, with a theoretical molecular weight of ~585 kDa (1-4). More specifically, the N-terminus contains four von Willebrand factor type D domains, where D1 also has a leucine zipper pattern (1). The TRR is further divided into nine CysD domains and four PTS-rich tandem repeats (1). Finally, the C-terminus has a D4-, B-, C-, and CK-domain (1). The TRR is a site of heavy O-glycosylation that functions in gel and polypeptide formation (1,3).
Given that MUC5AC is the primary mucin produced and secreted by cells lining airway, it is understandable that its expression is dysregulated in a number of respiratory diseases (1,3,5,6). For instance, MUC5AC is overexpressed in asthma and the protein is also more highly glycosylated, specifically fucosylated, in the disease state (1,3,7). Additionally, its overproduction is a key feature in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) contributing to mucosal blockage (6). Multiple pathways are associated with overproduction of MUC5AC including NFkappaB, the primary pathway for production and secretion, and also the MAPK and STAT6 pathways (3). In addition to conventional, synthetic therapeutics agents, researchers are exploring natural MUC5AC inhibitors such as flavonoids, glycosides, and steroids to treat associated disorders (3).
1. Krishn, S. R., Ganguly, K., Kaur, S., & Batra, S. K. (2018). Ramifications of secreted mucin MUC5AC in malignant journey: a holistic view. Carcinogenesis. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgy019
2. Ballester, B., Milara, J., & Cortijo, J. (2019). Mucins as a New Frontier in Pulmonary Fibrosis. Journal of clinical medicine. https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm8091447
3. Samsuzzaman, M., Uddin, M. S., Shah, M. A., & Mathew, B. (2019). Natural inhibitors on airway mucin: Molecular insight into the therapeutic potential targeting MUC5AC expression and production. Life sciences. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2019.05.041
4. Uniprot (P98088)
5. Li, J., & Ye, Z. (2020). The Potential Role and Regulatory Mechanisms of MUC5AC in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Molecules (Basel, Switzerland). https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules25194437
6. Bonser, L. R., & Erle, D. J. (2017). Airway Mucus and Asthma: The Role of MUC5AC and MUC5B. Journal of clinical medicine. https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm6120112
This product is for research use only and is not approved for use in humans or in clinical diagnosis. Primary Antibodies are guaranteed
for 1 year from date of receipt.
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed...
Species: Hu, Mu
Applications: Flow-IC, Flow, ICC/IF, IHC, IHC-Fr, IHC-P, WB
Species: Hu, Mu
Applications: ELISA, Flow, ICC/IF, IHC, IHC-Fr, IHC-P
Applications: Flow, ICC/IF, IF, IHC, IHC-P, IP, WB
Applications: ICC/IF, IHC, IHC-P
Species: Hu, Mu
Applications: ICC/IF, IHC, IHC-P, Simple Western, WB
Applications: CyTOF-ready, ELISA(Cap), ELISA(Det), ELISA(Sta), Flow, ICC, IHC, IP, Simple Western, WB
Species: Hu, Rt
Applications: Flow, ICC/IF, IHC, IHC-P, IP, WB
Applications: ELISA(Cap), ELISA(Det), ELISA(Sta), IHC, IP, WB
Species: Hu, Mu
Applications: CyTOF-ready, Flow, ICC/IF, IF, IHC, IHC-P, Simple Western, WB
Species: Hu, Rt(-)
Applications: Flow, ICC/IF, IF, IHC, IHC-P
Species: Bv, Eq, Hu, Mu, Ma-Op, Pm, Rt
Applications: IHC, IHC-P, WB
Species: Hu, Mu, Rt, Xp(-), Ye
Applications: CyTOF-ready, ELISA, Flow-IC, Flow, ICC/IF, IHC, IHC-Fr, IHC-P, IP, WB
Species: Ca, Hu, Pm, Mu, Rt
Applications: IHC, IHC-P, IP, WB
Species: Hu, Pm, Mu, Rt
Applications: ELISA, Flow, ICC/IF, IHC, IHC-P, WB
Applications: IHC, IHC-P
Species: Hu, Mu, Rt, Po, Ch, Fe, Ma, Pm, Rb, Bv(-)
Applications: WB, DB, Flow, Flow-IC, ICC/IF, IHC, IHC-Fr, IHC-P
Product General Protocols
Find general support by application which include: protocols, troubleshooting, illustrated assays, videos and webinars.
FAQs for MUC5AC Antibody (NBP2-15196). (Showing 1 - 1 of 1 FAQs).
I would be interested in buying the anti-Mucin 5AC (clone 45M1). However, the antibodies from Abcam (your competitor), also clone "45M1" does not work in the rat. On your datasheet, you announce your antibody "cross React" with different species, including rats. Can you please confirm me?
- Our Mucin 5AC antibody NBP2-15196 has rat and other species listed as possible cross reactive species based on homology. The Abcam antibody of the same clone also lists rat as a potential species. Unlike Abcam, we will apply our guarantee to species that have 90% homology or higher.
Additional MUC5AC Products
Bioinformatics Tool for MUC5AC Antibody (NBP2-15196)
Discover related pathways, diseases and genes to MUC5AC Antibody (NBP2-15196). Need help?
Read the Bioinformatics Tool Guide
for instructions on using this tool.
Blogs on MUC5AC.