|Catherine's Top Ten List Of Why Science Is Awesome
- The Boops Boops, the Blobfish, the Gobi Jerboa, the Agra Vation, and the Calponia Harrisonfordiall are real species discovered by us scientists. More importantly, we can clearly get away with naming them however we want and they still get accepted by the community.
- Caring for stem cells and watching them differentiate into astrocytes, neurons, or oligodendrocytes is an incredible, yet sad journey. To see what surprises these fragile cells produce is the most rewarding aspect of science, but throwing them away at the end of the assay is always hard.
- Western blots still me take an entire day to do, and sometimes the protein bands appear exactly where they shouldn’t but the leftover polyacrylamide gels are always fun to play with.
- Gloves are great for protecting our dermis from dangerous chemicals. They are also great for blowing into little hand shaped balloons.
- The birth of science fiction: where creativity, science, and a touch of imagination combine to explore the unknown, the fantastic, and the unbelievable.
- Because “this is one corner of one country, in one continent, on one planet that’s a corner of a galaxy that’s a corner of a universe that is forever growing and shrinking and creating and destroying, and never remaining the same for a single millisecond. And there is so much, so much to see.” The 10th Doctor, Doctor Who
- Because quantum physics: the very fabric of space and time is modeled and reconstructed through a series of mathematical equations with that came the birth of dark energy, dark matter, relativity, and a zoo of elementary particles.
- Because I will enjoy my daily dose of 3,7-Dihydro-1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione in the morning while pondering about the very existence of this universe while attempting to order my very own pet Boops Boops.
- Someday, science will explain the significance of dark matter, dark energy, and anti-matter. This knowledge will transcend everything we think we know about the universe and the answers will be marvelous.
- Because life would be so boring otherwise, and what’s the point of that?